Descendants of Roderick MacDonald, Strathan, Assynt.
Roderick MacDonald lived in Strathan. He married Mary MacLeod from Tubeg in 1808. (The contract was dated 21 Apr 1808 and gave them 40 days to marry.) He died before 1851 as Mary was a widow then, and possibly before 1841 as he was not with his family in the 1841 census).
Roderick and Mary had eight children;
- Susanna MacDonald, bapt. 8 Aug 1811 Strathan, Assynt. She married Neil MacKenzie, the son of John MacKenzie and Christina MacLeod, also from Strathan on 21 Mar 1844 when she was 32. They had three sons. She died of Bronchitis, a week after her sister Margaret and four days after her husband, on 1 May 1877, aged 65.
- Roderick MacKenzie, born 22 feb 1845 Assynt.
- Donald MacKenzie, born 3 Jul 1847 Assynt.
- John MacKenzie, born c.1848 Assynt.
- Margaret MacDonald, born c.1812 Assynt. She lived in the area all her life and died of Bronchitis at Inishdhu on 24 Apr 1877 aged 64
- Hugh MacDonald, bapt. 27 Mar 1814 Strathan, Assynt. He
married Anne MacKenzie from Plockton, daughter of Murdo and Ann MacKenzie, on 31 Mar 1852 in Assynt. Their first child was born in Lochalsh but the rest were born in Assynt. He was a merchant and a crofter. He died on 29 Jan 1888 in Strathan, aged 73
- Roderick MacDonald, born 1853 Lochalsh.
- Dolina MacDonald, born 1855 Assynt.
- Donald MacDonald, born 24 Aug 1857 Assynt. He married Mary Ann Fairweather at Edderton, Ross-shire in 1895. They had two children in Assynt and one in Golspie and were living in Beauly, Kilmorack, Inveness-shire in 1901. He was a coachman there and died there on 4 Oct 1903 of Pneumonia, aged 46.
- Catherine MacDonald, born 30 Aug 1859 Assynt. She died on 25 Dec 1864 in Strathan, aged 5
- David MacDonald, born 28 Dec 1861 Assynt.
- Mary MacDonald, born 1865 Assynt.
- Murdoch MacDonald, born 1865 Assynt.
- Annie MacDonald, born 24 Oct 1867 Assynt.
- Jane MacDonald, bapt. 15 Nov 1818 Strathan, Assynt. She married Murdo MacLeod from Inverkirkaig on 14 Mar 1843 and they had nine children. She died on 15 Nov 1891 in Inverkirkaig, aged 73
- Catherine Scobie MacDonald, bapt. 22 Jul 1821 Strathan, Assynt. She probably died before 1826 when another daughter was given the name Catherine.
- John MacDonald, bapt. 27 Jan 1824 Assynt. He was the registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages for the district of Stoer from its beginning in 1856 until April 1864. In the the 1871 and 1881 census his occupation was Woodkeeper and in the 1901 census and on his death registration he is called a Forester. He died on 12 Jan 1904 in Strathan aged 79. His death registration gives a different mother's name, Annabella Kerr, but his name and date of death are on the same gravestone as his brother Hugh and sister Isabella.
- Catherine MacDonald, bapt. 27 Mar 1826 Strathan, Assynt. She was at home with her mother in the 1851 census. I don't know what became of her after that.
- Isabella MacDonald, born 10 Sep 1828, bapt. 7 Oct 1828 Strathan, Assynt. She was a dressmaker and lived in the district all her life. She died on 10 Sep 1903 in Lochinver aged 75